Last Updated On July 14th, 2016 at 07:56 am
This page gives Hotel Management Course Details such as Hotel Management Course Fee, Syllabus, and related information. Before dwelling on the course details, it is pertinent to have some general understanding about Hotel Management. Such introductory segment will help readers to appreciate different dimensions about the course and help them make the right decision.
Hotel Management, as the name suggests, is a course about administration or management of hotels. Core concepts in a typical hotel management course includes management basics, communications, hospitality cash management, advertising, regulatory standards concerning hotels’ administration, service industry principles, etc. In this course, students are taught essential strategies required in the management of customer relations within the hotel industry. It helps students learn different ways in which demands of the customer can be met through change in the structure, goals, and the culture of the organization.
The course also covers challenges that are faced in the food and beverages operations. Students explore different categories of service, dining room, kitchen structures, staffing, pricing, inventory, cost controls, and purchasing. Under any course of Hotel management, students are trained to develop accounting and other financial skills that are directed towards effective management of resources and generation of revenue for the hotel company. Concepts such as brand analysis, segmentation, marketing principles, public relations, internet marketing are explored.
Apart from what has been mentioned above, students are made aware of the regulations and statutory compliances that are needed to be ensured. An examination of the legal aspects engaged in a typical hotel-guest relationship helps in administration of the hotel. There is a myth that hotel management is for those who are want to be chefs or have no other course to enrol into. It is important to note that a course in hotel management requires as much as dedication and hard work as any other professional course. Here are important details about the course that you should know about:
Eligibility criteria for Hotel Management Course
The selection criteria for a typical hotel management course is that the interested candidate must have qualified 10+2 from any recognized Board with at least 50 percent score. There are however institutes that offer hotel management courses to those candidates who do not have minimum 50 percent in the board examination (10+2) such as diploma and certificate courses. Many hotel management institutes make the aforementioned criteria the sole criteria for selection however, there are substantial numbers of institutes which organize entrance examinations and select those who manage to qualify the minimum score requirement.
A typical Bachelor in Hotel Management and Catering Technology course covers almost every area that has some or other function in it. Even, the remote functionality of any aspect of hotel management will be a part of the course so as to impart holistic education. The course will generally cover the history of cooking, knowledge on various culinary terminologies, food production practical, housekeeping operation lessons, food and beverage services, safety and first aid, personality and communication skill development, food production, etc.
Career and job opportunities in Hotel management
There are many job prospects in hotel management and many of them are lucrative. As a hotel management graduate or post-graduate, the following options are available to choose from:
- Hotel Manager: A hotel manager is tasked with the responsibility of the effective operation of the hotel establishments. He is in the key managerial position and takes into account all financial matters of the hotel. It is the hotel manager, who has the power to decide the norms and guidelines regarding room service, decoration, food quality, housekeeping, and other related operations.
- Front Office Manager: He is the person responsible for the monitoring of the daily operations in the allotted departments. Such officer works under the supervision of top hotel management brass.
- Executive Chef: Perhaps, the most tasteful job for any hotel management graduate. An Executive chef is the head of the kitchen under whose dictates the chefs prepare food.
- Stewards: These persons oversee the arrangements in the restaurants such as service of ordered items, mannerisms of the staff, etc.
- Food and Beverage Manager: A Food and Beverage manager is another key managerial positron that is responsible for the planning, organization, and controlling of the work delegated to the catering department. This job is regarded as one of the most tedious jobs in the hotel management industry.
- Restaurant and Food Service Managers: These persons are tasked with the responsibility of the stocks of linens, paper, tableware, furniture, cooking utensils, cleaning supplies, and fixtures. These individuals manage the records of wages of employees, taxes, payrolls, etc.
- Executive Housekeeper: An Executive Housekeeper has the responsibility to ensure that the rooms, banquet halls, and public regions are orderly, neat, and properly looked after. He is in-charge of room inspection and other housekeeping related operations of the hotel.
Hotel Management Course Specializations
There are a considerable number of specializations available to Hotel management graduates. Under this head, a few such specializations shall be explored briefly. Specialization in Lifestyle hospitality Management focuses on areas such as senior living and senior hospitality, wellness and health, generational needs, and ecotourism. The focus is in on the hospitality sector and how to ensure greater comfort to different kinds of customers received.
Revenue Management and & E-Distribution is an internationally popular specialization course in hotel management that enables students to dig deeper into the analytical and mathematical mechanism pertaining to revenue management. The course provides models on sales optimization and related strategies that contribute to increasing in profits. The course introduces the students to certain technological aspects involved in hotel management such as different types of online booking management platforms designed by different companies and cater to the standpoint of a customer.
Another specialization course is International Wine and Beverage Management, which helps students develop a thorough knowledge of the products and offers of the world. The course provides a perfect combination of logistics and marketing to the wine, spirits, and beverage markets. It unravels the complexities in the contemporary beverage industry and methods to tackle them effectively. Like the ones mentioned above, there are many other courses that provide specialization on various aspects involved in the hotel management industry. Specializations help muster one’s knowledge and practical skills and provide an edge during recruitment drives. After all, the more you know, the more credentials you supply.
Top companies for Hotel Management graduates and post-graduates.
There is a marked increased in hotel companies in the country and many of these companies offer lucrative packages, even for a fresher. Some of the well-established, prominent hotel companies for hotel management students are as follows:
- Oberoi Group of Hotels \ Ambassador Group of Hotels
- Sarovar Park Group of Hotels
- Sinclairs Group of Hotels
- Best Western Group of Hotels
- Mansingh Group of Hotels
- Peerless Group of Hotels
- Casino Group of Hotels
- ITDC Group of Hotels
- Clarks Group of Hotels
- Jaypee Group of Hotels
- K Raheja Group of Hotels
- Le Meridien Group of Hotels
- Taj Group of Hotels
- Tulip Star Group of Hotels
- Welcome Heritage Group of Hotels
- Holiday Inn Group of Hotels
- ITC Group of Hotels
- Fortune Park Group of Hotels
- HRH Group of Hotels